Man Crush Monday: Being Brad

MAN Crush MonDay
         #MCM

 Being Brad

"The Unbearable Bradness of Being"

Who: Brad Pitt
For: Rolling Stones
When: October 1999
Photographed by: mark seliger 
Why; Because who many guy can wear a  dress and still look oh so fine?


"With three photo shoots behind them, Brad Pitt and Rolling Stone chief photographer Mark Seliger had a comfortable working relationship when they ran into each other at L.A.'s Chateau Marmont hotel last year. "Brad says, 'I've got a real weird idea,'" Seliger recalls. "'For this movie I'm doing, I'm going to have to be pretty big. I'm going to have chipped teeth and a nice shaved head. And I thought about shooting me in dresses - what do you think of that?' And I say, 'That sounds pretty funny.' And he says, 'But we're not talking about me in drag; we're talking about me coming from another planet.'"


"We wanted these photos to be conceptual," says Seliger, "to convey Brad's interest in architecture and design but to still have a sense of humor, and to be both revealing and shocking For the record, Seliger and Pitt chose the dresses themselves. "We picked things that we thought would be not particularly kitsch but extremely bold and weird," says Seliger. "He was really enthusiastic, the perfect subject in that sense. With Brad, you can't get strange enough. He loves that."

 "I know all these things are supposed to seem important to us - the car, the condo, our version of success - but if that's the case, why is the general feeling out there reflecting more impotence and isolation and desperation and loneliness? If you ask me, I say toss all this - we gotta find something else. Because all I know is that at this point in time, we are heading for a dead end, a numbing of the soul, a complete atrophy of the spiritual being. And I don't want that." Brad Pitt. Rolling Stones. 1999



Click here to read full 1999 Rolling Stones article.











Popular Posts